Washington DC Oct 8 2013 A maintenance worker at MedStar Washington Hospital Center has died following a freon leak.
Melvin Lewis was called to fix an air conditioner in the East Building Sunday when he was overcome by fumes inside the mechanical room, the hospital said in a statement.
Lewis, a 15-year employee at the hospital, was taken to the emergency room where he died.
Some patients were briefly evacuated, but they have since returned to their rooms.
MedStar Washington Hospital Center is located at 110 Irving Street in northwest Washington.